Without your spark plugs, ignition doesn't take place. That’s because the spark plugs create ignition when they kindle the mixture of fuel and oxygen inside the engine.
How Spark Plugs Work
That happens when the spark plugs fire an arc of electricity across the gap between their leads. The gap is precisely calibrated to produce the ideal spark needed for ignition. Once combustion occurs, your pistons begin pumping and you're ready to head out on the road.
Spark plugs can eventually weaken, leading to engine trouble. Whether that loss of fire is due to corrosion or the gap between leads growing too wide, you'll want to replace your plugs as soon as possible.
How to Recognize Problematic Spark Plugs
Signs of failing spark plugs include:
- The engine misfires
- You have trouble starting your vehicle
- Your engine idles rougher than normal
- The "Check Engine" dashboard light comes on
Shop For Genuine OEM Spark Plugs Online
Some people who have these symptoms assume that their alternator is at fault. Before you leap to that conclusion, though, check your spark plugs. If they do need to be replaced, you'll want to choose the right ones for your model. That means going with the authentic spark plugs made by your manufacturer, since they're the only ones that are guaranteed to be compatible with your vehicle and then engine that powers it. Find yours right here in our online auto parts catalog. Buy now and we'll ship your order directly to your door!
No results found for "spark plugs". Here are some helpful search tips:
- Search by a part name. Example: water pump.
- Be less specific. Example: brake instead of ceramic brake.
- Remove information such as make, year or model.
- Can't find the part you are looking for? Contact us and we'll find it for you!